January 31, 2016

While planning the series #EdensBirthdayWeek for my blog, I realized I’ve never shared my birth story so I thought this was the perfect time to do so. My entire pregnancy I was so worried that Mitch wouldn’t be there for the birth of Eden since he was 3,000 miles away at his new station in Boston for the Coast Guard and I would be delivering in California.

I worked until I was 38 weeks pregnant and when I started my maternity leave Mitch was able to start his leave and fly out to California to be with me for 28 days.  I was so relieved I didn’t go into labor early. Little did I know, I would not only make it to my due date but I would go 4 days over. Every day that passed by seemed like an eternity, I felt like I would be pregnant forever. I was so anxious to meet Eden I was hoping my water would break or I would start having contractions or something, but nothing.

I went to my 40 week appointment and was hoping to hear some good news, but I was still only dilated 1 centimeter. At first I was worried about going into labor too early, now I was worried I would go into labor too late and Mitch would have to head back to Boston right after the birth and not get to spend any time with his newborn daughter. At my appointment, the doctor measured Eden and he estimated she was 8 pounds and 11 ounces. He decided to put me on the induction wait list at the hospital. Mitch and I left the hospital and we were just waiting around for the phone call to go in.

40 weeks & 3 day: It was 5 in the morning and my phone started ringing. It was the hospital calling to let me know a room was available for me and I should be there at 8am. I was nervous, excited, and felt a wave of other emotions that I would soon be meeting my baby girl! I jumped into the shower, curled my hair and put on makeup, at some breakfast and off to the hospital we went! Our nurses Tana and Michelle greeted us at the check in desk and showed us to the room. I changed into my hospital gown and climbed into the bed. They hooked me up to a bunch of monitors, started my IV, and we waited. Eden must not have gotten the memo it was time for her to come out, or she just wanted to make a grand entrance to her party, because that little girl was not wanting to come out!!

After the first 12 hour dose of Cervidil, I felt a few contractions but nothing major. The doctor came and checked and I was still not dilated passed 1 centimeter. Not the news I was hoping to hear, but he informed me I could do another 12 hour round of Cervidil. This was such a long process and i wasn’t even in labor yet! Once the second does started, I immediately started feeling contractions and boy were they painful. This dose was during the night  so Mitch and my mom were in the room asleep and I  wanted to get some sleep because I knew I needed to save my energy for when I was actually in labor. The nurse came in to give me some pain medicine to take the edge off and I was able to get a little rest.

The morning of January 31st, Dr. Lopez came to see if there was any progress and I knew there had to have been since I was in so much pain! He checks me and I was still 1 centimeter! I was so frustrated at that point, I just wanted her to be here already. The doctor told me that it was possible that I would have to have a C-section since she was so big, the reason I wasn’t dilating and said we could try to medicine and wait another 12 hours to see if I would work the third time. He also let me know that even if I did go into labor, since she was measuring big and was having trouble dropping to the birth canal, it would be possible that when it was time to push I would have to have an emergency c section. My mom had 3 c sections, so I always knew this was a possibility. The main goal for my birth plan was to safely deliver Eden. So I decided to go with the scheduled c section.

I was able to rest or about 3 hours before they wheeled me back into the operating room. I was so relieved Mitch was able to be in the room with me! Once the spinal medicine kicked in I could not feel a thing. It took about 15 minutes of tugging and pressure, but before I knew it our perfect baby girl was born on January 31, 2016 weighing 8lbs & 10 ounces, and was 20.5 inches long. We instantly fell in love with our new little baby.

Happy First Birthday Eden Noelle! We love you!


Author: Angela Moretti

Hi there, I'm Angela - wife to my high school sweetheart, Mitch & mama to our beautiful baby girl Eden and our fur baby Ollie! I'm originally from Bakersfield, California but currently living right outside of Boston, Massachusetts. My husband is in the Coast Guard out here, so this is our new home for the next 3 years. Since we live so far away from our friends and family, I thought I'd start documenting our adventure out here on the East Coast. I hope to share with your our family's little moments along with our biggest celebrations, and everything in between! Thanks for stopping by! Love Always, Angela

One thought on “January 31, 2016”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s