I had so much fun with this D.I.Y. for Eden’s Birthday gift. I stumbled across a made over play kitchen on Pinterest a few months ago and knew right away that I wanted to make Eden one. I purchased this kitchen from Ikea for only $99.99, which is a lot more affordable than some of the other play kitchen’s I’ve seen. Plus, I had so much fun customizing it for Eden. It has gold hardware and marble counter tops (my dream kitchen!) but it colorful and fun for kids. Hopefully this will teach her to love cooking so she can make mama some dinner in the future!. Below I listed the step by step instructions on how I turned an ordinary play kitchen into a perfectly pink, whimsical play kitchen.
- Spray paint all the silver pieces gold. I used Krylon metallic spray paint that I picked up from Michael’s.
- Spray paint all the natural wood pieces light pink and I did two coats. I used Krylon Colormaster in the color “Ballet Slipper” (Note: I did not paint the oven or microwave white, they originally came that color. I left any pieces of white wood, white)
- I applied the marble contact paper (Amazon) to the counter tops first, flipped them over, and used a sharp pair of scissors to cut the space for the stove top and sink. I then used a credit card to smooth out any air bubbles. (Note: I read another blog where they traced the shape of the counter top, cut it to size, but then realized it was a lot harder to line up the contact paper on the surface).
- I painted all the pieces first, then waited a day for them to make sure they were dry, and assembled them all according to the instructions the kitchen came with.
- I switched the original pulls from the oven and microwave to some dainty silver ones I found at the local hardware store, then spray painted them gold. They didn’t fit perfectly, but they worked just fine.
- For the back splash I used a piece of foam board I bought at Target and hot glued some floral wrapping paper I found on Etsy. I cut the foam board to fit the back of the kitchen, then nailed it to stay in place.
- I used hot glue to add 4 crystal & gold knobs I found at the local hardware store to act as the oven and stove knobs. (Note: Eden pulled off the knobs a few times because she uses them to pull herself up, but it was a quick fix to glue them back. You could drill them in, but I didn’t have a drill).
- Last but not least, I added a few touches that I thought would make her kitchen complete: silk flowers and faux fur rug from HomeGoods, cutting board and wooden bowl from TjMaxx, play lemons from eBay, mini Pelegrino bottle from the local grocery store, pink mini macrame from Copper and Clove Shop on Etsy, pink pots and pans from Amazon, mini succulent arrangement from Target, YAY vase set from Target, 5×7 Elodie Rug by Glitter Guide from Lulu and Georgia, and wall macrame from Urban Outfitters
- These beautiful balloons were sponsored by Mika’s Party Shop from Etsy! I assembled the balloon garland using this balloon strip from Amazon and garnished it with silk flowers and greenery to add an extra girly touch.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial! If you have any questions or comments please leave them below and I will reply ASAP! Hope you all have a wonderful day!